Historical: More than 27.000 WC 56 and WC 57 (w/winch) produced from 1942 - 1945 at Dodge Division of Chrysler Corporation in Mound Park, Michigan.
The 3/4 ton command car was the third of three generations of command cars built by Dodge.
The first being a 1/2 ton civilian style VC series introduced in 1939 and the second being a 1/2 ton WC series introduced in 1941.
The following three designations of the 3/4 ton command car were formed: WC-56, 57, and 58. The difference between models WC-56 and WC-57 is that the latter is equipped with a power take-off and a drive shaft for the winch mounted at the front of the vehicle.
The electrical system of both models is 12 volt with battery located on the right running board and provision is made for the installation of radio equipment behind the front seat designated as WC-58.
The Dodge command car was used for front line reconnaissance often fitted with a long range radio set just behind the back seat. Other uses were in a command role often transporting high ranking military officials.
Length: 4.16 m (164 inches).
Width: 1.98 m (78 inches).
Height: 2.06 m (81 inches).
Weight: 2.443 kg (5.375 lb.).
Engine: Dodge T214 6-cylinder, 3.772 cm3 (230 cubic inches) displacement, liquid cooled, carburettor
Horsepower: 92 at 3.200 rpm.
Transmission: 4-speed gearbox.
Transfer case: Single-speed.
Electrical system: 12 volt, negative ground.
Tyres: 9.00 -16.
without preparation: 0.86 m (34 inches).
with deep water fording kit: N/A.
Fuel type: Petrol.
Fuel capacity: 136 liter (30 gallons).
Range: 380 km (240 miles).
Additional: A folding map table was fitted to the rear of the front seats
work in progress